Friday, May 23, 2008

manufactured landscapes

Manufactured landscapes is a movie about humanities insane ability to deconstruct our surroundings. The pictographs and its symbolism is too much for gravity. On a recent trip to Fort McMurray Alberta, Canada, I was quickly reminded of the enormity of our footprint. I witnessed earth moving machines that run 24-7-365. I viewed surveillance (how fitting) of large scissor like stone earth crushing turbines that revolve continuously. I was transported through this terrain on one of 900 buses in the booming town of Fort McMurray. While I did not get a chance to converse much with average folk, one even wonders what it means to be average in a town of transient wealth seeking individuals. I was inundated with images of destruction and uncommon violence of which I have never bore witness to. All this for the sake of fuelling a machine. Our economy and our economic future are tightly coupled to this town and there is little if any federal government presence.

The people are extremely energetic and spirited. there is a particular rhythm in town and nonsensical devotion to a singular mantra 'this has never been done before'. they appear to be correct there are no case studies on a boom of such proportions. They are 'going it alone'.

They are an ingenious crowd and one can not help but become a bit jealous of their progressive stance. I even thought about moving there as not to miss this boom, not from an economic sense but from an egotistically front. I did not want to miss out on this unique experience. A new frontier is shaping itself by its own accord and it is manufacturing a new landscape, whether or not we have the stomach for this new landscape is another question. I suspect that other parts of Canada, perhaps even sleepy Ottawa might start to take more notice.

No comments: