Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In Between

I searched in vain again tonight, through all my yellow pieces of paper, for an idea that has been with me for some time. I have written about it a few times and even tried elaborating on it. It is the idea that all meaning is found in between words and between meanings. Extrapolating on the first aspect of this we know that as people speak to us we sometimes start the processing of language instantaneously and that we mix experience and personal circumstance into this process just as fast. Meaning comes after the process cycle and it is only when we can see and hear space (in that this is possible through some sort of post processing chemical trigger that allows us to reach a conclusion) do we actually uncover meaning. Unfortunately we are all too often only processing and not understanding or finding meaning.

A friend of mine one day asked me if i had observed a new billboard on my commute in. He went on to describe in great detail the emotions and impact that this new billboard had on him. I, in fact, did not see the sign but processed much of what he said and found meaning in his words. One can presume that I was able to do this by way in part because i envied the fact that he remembered the sign and captured the essence and message of the sign so dramatically. I do not recall the content of the billboard only that i did not notice.

This causes me to evaluate my world differently. I am absolutely on the other end of the spectrum spending most of my process cycles on inventions and creations instead of absorbing datapoints at hand.

I did out of wonderful chance uncover a passage from my favorite writer that offers something similar.
"Between the experience of living a normal life at this moment on the planet and the public narratives being offered to give a sense to that life, the empty space, the gap is enormous. the desolation lies there, not in the facts." (pg 176, Shape of a Pocket, John Berger, 2001)

No comments: